Zamzam wedding cakes in Marrakech

Well I have started making wedding cakes for people getting married in Marrakech or Morocco. Making wedding cakes is exhausting in Marrakech because firstly you cannot get the cake tins so you have to go and have them made in the Medina and secondly the icing sugar is more like sand, so when you smooth it on you see grains. I don't understand this and it is driving me mad having to bring icing sugar back from the UK?? Why is Moroccan icing sugar not fine are the production machines old anyone know it really does my head in.
Rant over ............. so this turned into a labour of love. Inside is a chocolate devils food cake and devil to ice it was as dark chocolate crumbs where everywhere. I was also nervous about making this as it was being driven to the desert 10 hours over the Atlas Mountains with their numerous hair pin bends and Sonia the bride really wanted a henna design which I did in chocolate I hope it lasted the journey!

I got up in the morning loaded them into the car, I had put their travel cases on the night before to avoid Jojo the dog scoffing them whilst I was asleep which would have finished me off. I tried to drive carefully down my bumpy road which is akin to the Atlas Mountains actually. When I got into town I drove straight across the Jema El Fna thinking I'm delivering the wedding cake I should have a police convoy for gods sake. I managed to park right outside the entrance to club med in my 4 wheel drive everyone just stared at me and club med knew nothing about a wedding party (strange when they had 75 of the guests staying there!). Eventually I found Sonia the bride and made a big point about showing her the cakes before they went in the bus. I told her and John the organiser they must be kept cool and the little topper should maybe go on your lap, yes yes they said see you ... bye! as I turned around I saw the driver loading them into the bottom of the bus with all the baggage ................ oh god!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L'Abyssin - well healed Marrakech

Cooking a Tagine - Berber style

Gnawa or Knawa - Great Music Masters in Morocco