Skiing in Morocco - Marrakech to Oukaimeden

After discovering the skiing last year at Oukaimeden in the high Atlas only 1.5 hours from Marrakech and being an keen skier myself, I have been eagerly awaiting the snow in the mountains this year. I discovered the wonderful skiing only at the end of the season, so have had to spend all year, rallying up a girl group and waiting on the snow. It is now here! My friend had invited me to go up with her family and children but the day before she called to say there was a blizzard up there so would call me at 8am the following morning to make a decision. The next day I awoke, the sky was blue and crystal clear and the recently dumped on mountains standing proudly and invitingly on the horizon, what a day I thought. She called - we're off, see you up there. We dashed around the house jumping into salopettes and ugg boots and little one into her leopard skin hat and matching boots (she had these on in the summer with her swim suit, a very funny sight.) The drive up there is gorgeous so I thought I would show you the different views on route. In the time you get up there, you go from about 19 degrees to -2.
Berber houses en route, imagine how cold these people must get. They walk around in the really cold temperatures in just a jumper, sitting outside chatting. They are very hardy.
Beautiful Christmas trees on the way, I was wishing I could have taken one home with me.
Getting higher! Anyone visiting in the winter months should do this trip, it is such a great drive and even if you don't ski, you can have a nice lunch up there and glass of wine in the sun looking at the spectacular view. At the riad we can organise this day trip for you. You can stay overnight too if you fancy a bit of skiing. The skiing is not advanced unless you go off piste with a guide, the runs are red and blue runs, but if you are dreadfully unfit like me it is still enjoyable and the most amazing thing for me which blows my head is that you are in Morocco! sunbathing - skiing - 1.5 hours.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L'Abyssin - well healed Marrakech

Cooking a Tagine - Berber style

Gnawa or Knawa - Great Music Masters in Morocco