Kilim Kool - Moroccan Kilim carpets

As I drove into Marrakech, I could not understand why there was soooooo much traffic, it was like being in London in the rush hour! When I got to the Mellah (Jewish Quarter) you could hardly move for people. I had to beg my usual guardien to let me into the car parking area as he was fighting off cars. I walked down the street not daring to go against the sea of people, above strangely scores of large storks circled, then I realised! It is the last weekend in August, the last weekend before the schools go back, the last weekend, before Ramadan begins etc Everyone was coming home. There were a large number of tourists around too, it was as if the whole world had arrived in Marrakech.

The reason for my trip into town amongst other things, was that a lady had asked me if I could find her some nice kilims in yellows or blues. On my hunt I realised that are alot of rubbish kilims out there. There seem to be these awful kilim rugs made for the tourist market by the thousands, that they think people are going to buy? I don't really understand it. There are also dreadful copies in inferior materials of wonderful kilims, so at first glance you go to have a look and as you get close you realise. Anyway on my travels I found these pretty kilim, the yellow in reality was less bright than in the photos, but I thought you might like to have a look at the wonderful intricate design of them. They are from the south of Morocco and made from a wonderful cotton tightly woven.
This pattern looks like leaves or seaweed. They would look stunning on a wooden floor.
Spot the smiley face in this one! soft tones with raspberry and navy blue.
If you are interested in one, check them out at the Zamzam Boutique and drop me an email by clicking on contact me in the blog.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L'Abyssin - well healed Marrakech

Cooking a Tagine - Berber style

Gnawa or Knawa - Great Music Masters in Morocco